Seeing Through the Eyes of Another, Even on a Trail


"No! Go!" I yelled. I repeated it, this time intensifying my volume.

There was something about this blonde-furred, blue-eyed, unattached dog that caused the warning bells to sound in my head. Maybe it was increased levels of cortisol pulsing through my body due to weeks of stress. It was likely both. I turned with Fern and walked backwards, keeping my blue eyes on its until this unaccompanied dog stopped on the trail. I pivoted and hiked quickly back towards the trailhead a little less than a mile away.

I climbed the hill and then heard the jiggle of tags and the crunch of leaves behind me. My head snapped back. The dog had followed us. I yelled, "No! Go!" And again. I continued up the hill with my heart pounding, my breathe short, sweat pouring down my back and panic. "Why is this dog following us?" It wasn't just following us down the trail but through the woods in a sneaky way. Was this real?

This scenario continued for the remainder of the way, including warning a runner who also turned back towards the trailhead. Cortisol now at record levels in my body, Fern and I reached the trailhead adjacent to a busy road. Upon warning two hikers with their dog, one exclaimed, "That's Rusty!"I froze as Rusty approached us. However, they weren't afraid. One called the number on the "Lost Dog" poster while the other finally grabbed Rusty. I walked away and immediately burst into tears to release the stress.

Determined not to let this incident ruin my intended morning of peace on my favorite trail, I crossed the branch and walked opposite the trail I was just on. I took multiple slow, deep inhales and exhales to calm myself. After which, Fern and I encountered another off leash dog who came bounding at us. I froze again. Then I gathered Fern's leash tightly in my right and walked past the owner with a leash dangling from his left hand.

There is a problem on my favorite trail in my favorite park. Most people hike with their dogs off leash. The occasional hiker has their furry companion firmly attached to them; while others will call and hold their dog when approaching a leashed dog. Still, other dog owners hike past not in control of their dog or saying "oh, my dog is friendly" when asked to leash theirs. Dog owners in the last two scenarios have difficulty considering the perspective of hikers they pass on the trail: I follow park rules to leash my dog, I'm afraid my dog will chase an animal, I don't want my dog jumping up on you, I've had bad experiences with dogs, I've been bitten by a dog or any other story. What prevents a dog owner from considering the perspective of another hiker, biker or horseback rider? Freedom for their dog; this, an age old debate about personal freedoms vs. regulating human behavior. However I wonder, could we step into the shoes of another person's story and have empathy for their experiences, to consider and respect their place in the world? Even if it's on a trail.

The greatest consequence to any dog when hiking off leash is to end up like Rusty, lost in the woods.













Comments